Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Help Students Overcome their Fear of Success

"Procrastination is the fear of success." Author unknown

If you asked your students what does a successful student look like, very few will say, "like me!" Many of our students, like many of us, have a fear of success to some degree in some area of our life. For students, it sounds like this: if I make good grades in school, will my friends still be my friends? Will my friends think I am nerdy? Will I lose my social life because I'm working so hard to earn good grades? So, instead of being motivated to do their best work they sabotage their success and settle for just good enough. This concerns me because I don't want to take my children to a doctor that is just good enough. And, I don't want then to have a teacher that teaches just good enough. Hence, I would like to encourage all of us to help our students overcome their fear of success. Some things we can do are: respect and commend their effort, not just their grades. When they make notable progress, refrain from giving too much praise- some students don't want the extra attention. Lastly, remind them that you are there to support them on their journey to success and follow through!

So don't delay! Help your students overcome their fear of success, today!

No comments:

Post a Comment